Monday, May 24, 2010

SRK's best Buddy KJo’s introspective birthday


Karan Johar is sitting in his favourite New York City on his 38th birthday today (yes, he’s still below the Big 40) and looking back in gratitude at his many blessings — Kajol, Rani, Kareena, Shah Rukh and Gauri as friends; successes galore; and a movie company that is among the biggest and best in the business today. So what’s he complaining about?

I could almost visualize that grin long distance as he stated, “I realized that sometimes silence is the biggest gift one can gift oneself, and here I am, in the Big Apple, silent and in a uncelebratory mood; searching for that elusive Big Idea for my next movie.” Actually, he just wanted to be away, to clear his head of the clutter and think clean. “Now that I’ve realized my father’s dream of building an infrastructure and an organization that can run almost on auto pilot, I can get away knowing it’s in safe hands,” said Karan. “My childhood friend and CEO, Apoorva, is the strength in getting it right as an organization and as a business model. He allowed me a month away to focus on my story while he handles the show; and here I am, without any solid idea yet.”

Still, they said that for real men, it all begins at 40. He laughed, “I think that’s a myth perpetuated by men. That 40 is the new 30. Rubbish! The dichotomy of it is that while I am colouring my hair to hide my greys, my loyal office staff still calls me Karan baba. I believe you can get out there and be young and energetic at any age, but don’t save it for when you’re 40 and then try and cover up. Have fun at all ages. Do it now. I’m not 38 going on 28. I’ve had a solid 13 years of successes by God’s grace. A great journey, some good work and some dreams coming true in the fashion I’d imagined with my dad. It’s been fantastic. So even though I’m not having a party this year, it’s nice to be missed.”

And it’d be nice if this year’s controversies of the ilk of MNIK and Kurbaan spared him. “I’m glad that’s behind me,” he stressed. “We mean well. We make well meaning cinema that’s happy and fun. I’m glad that no damage has happened and the wishes of people are with us. But no one seeks out controversies.” And no SRK and Co. to cut him a cake? “Nope! Hope Mumbai misses me loads though. I will walk the streets of Manhattan in deep introspection. And maybe treat myself to a nice new hair colour. Because I’m worth it, I guess.”

Sure Kjo. With dreams coming true like they do in his movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment